A Successful Freight Claim in 5 Easy Steps.
It’s a fact of doing business that, despite everyone’s best efforts, LTL freight shipments occasionally suffer damage. Our goal at Overly is to help you get the best results from your freight claim.
Here are the steps you need to take to submit a successful freight claim with the carrier:
- Inspect the shipments at the time they arrive at your facility. The driver is expected to allow a reasonable amount of time for you to check for discrepancies and/or visible damage to packaging before leaving. If the crate shows any signs of damage, note it on the ticket as there could be concealed damage inside.
- If there is damage or missing items to palletized and crated shipments, make sure that it is noted on the driver’s delivery ticket. Take a photo of the note on the ticket or make a copy of the ticket.
- Document the damage to the packaging with photographs. Cell phone photographs are acceptable.
- Call or email the carrier with the information related to the damage and Overly Customer Service within 48 hours. Make sure to attach all copies of paperwork and/or photos showing the damage to the packaging.
- Do not move or install the damaged product—and keep the original packing material until notified by the freight carrier. Many times the carrier will dispatch an inspector to investigate the claim further or send a truck to retrieve damaged freight for salvage once the claim is settled.
Important: You will be responsible for filing the freight claim with the carrier. Overly will assist in providing additional information to you if needed in order to help you file the claim.
Overly works closely with our carriers to get your freight claims resolved in a timely matter. Please give us a call toll-free at 800-979-7300 with any questions you have about this process.